Tuesday 3 July 2012

Turkey Chilli

Turkey mince.  Not again, thank you.  As part of the husband's planned fitness kick, I'm following the food plan myself and sampling some of the new recipes in advance of foisting them on him.

Low fat, low on taste
Today's effort was turkey chilli.  I got the recipe from Low Fat Cooking on About.com.  It certainly wasn't the tastiest of recipes.  But then it's healthy so I wasn't expecting much of it.  It was edible, but it didn't rock my world.

I think my issue was with the mince.  When you take it out of the packet, it feels like poor quality sausage meet.  Pink, soft, squishy and textureless.  And on cooking, it just goes clumpy and sticks together.  So when you come to eat it, it is kind of in chunks.  But squishy, textureless chunks.  If I made this again, I'd just use regular turkey breast and cube it.

The black beans were a good addition for some contrasting colour with the stark whiteness of the meat.  But in the future, I think I'd just take a regular chilli recipe using beef mince, cutting out as much fat as possible and bulking it out with extra finely diced veg to make it more filling.  In fact, I'm sure a smaller portion of Lorraine Pascale's chilli would go down far better than a larger, bland tasting one.

You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...