Thursday 9 February 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate

As the wrapper says - 'Divine'
I first fell in love with hot chocolate as a young girl on a trip to France.  To a seven-year-old, there was something quite decadent about being allowed to drink from a bowl rather than a cup.  And being allowed to dip my food into said hot chocolate was even more exciting.

Until my taste developed to include coffee, it was always my hot drink of choice when the weather turned bitter or I needed a 'hug in a mug'.  Nowadays I'm more likely to plump for a latte.  I find hot chocolate too sweet.  Even when I do think I fancy a cup of hot chocolate, a few mouthfuls in and I end up leaving it.  But today was one of those days when a warm, sweet drink was just what I needed.

Except the Green and Blacks hot chocolate pot was bare after my Christmas truffle making activity.  Next stop, Thomasina Miers' Mexican Cooking Made Easy.  A really simple recipe.  Hot, cinnamon-scented milk poured over 70% cocoa chocolate.  Basically ganache, but not quite so creamy.

Whisked hot chocolate
It was just like drinking a chocolate bar.  And just what the doctor ordered.  I managed three-quarters before getting interpreted by the child.  Coming back to the dregs half an hour later, it had thickened up as the chocolate had cooled and was literally just like drinking chocolate fondue.  I could imagine it being pretty good with some churros dipped in it.  But that's a recipe for another day.

I will say that I couldn't really taste the cinnamon through the intense chocolate flavour.  It's difficult to tell if it made a difference because top quality chocolate always has fruity and spicy undertones.

Definitely an expensive, decadent treat to remedy a rubbish day.

Recipe - serves 2

  • 450ml semi-skimmed milk
  • 100g 70% cocoa solids chocolate
  • cinnamon stick.


  1. Place the milk in a small pan with the cinnamon stick and heat until just below boiling point.
  2. Meanwhile chop the chocolate finely and place in a bowl.
  3. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and whisk until a layer of foam covers the top.
  4. Pour into serving bowls or mugs and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...