Monday 12 March 2012

Stove Top Coconut Rice Pudding

Now this is one of those times when I wonder if this will become my own recipe as it was inspired by Nigella's recipe, but I adapted it.  So is it now Rebecca's Stove Top Rice Pudding?  Or will it forever be known as 'Adapted From Nigella's Stove Top Rice Pudding'?  Answers on a postcard...

I'm not sure what got me into making this recipe today.  I'm in a bit of a post half marathon funk really.  You'd think I'd be ravenous, but I'm right off my food at the moment.  I think it's something to do with running 13.1 miles in blazing sunshine bringing back the lovely sinusitis and chest infection that I'd been battling with for three weeks prior to the run.  It held off for the big day and then came back with a vengance.  That coupled with post race stiffness is making me feel a little lacklustre.

Nevertheless, I'm still healthier than a lot of people and the blog still needs keeping up (post 172, day 169 due to a few double blog days).  So I settled on the rice pudding which I've been meaning to make ever since I got my copy of Nigella Bites back in 2001.  Eleven years is a long wait.  And was it worth it?

Well I adapted the recipe slightly because I had some coconut cream left over in the fridge.  I may not be here tomorrow as it said on the carton to only keep for two days after opening it.  I opened it 12 days ago when I made a Thai prawn curry.  It looked okay.  I couldn't tell what it smelled like thanks to a bunged up nose.  But what the hell.  In it went.

It looks a tiny portion, but it's Nigella sized....
The recipe uses arborio rice rather than the traditional short grain and involves lots of ladling and stirring just as if you were making a savoury risotto.  I must admit I was lazier than Nigella and just poured bits in every now and again.  She ladles hers tablespoonful by tablespoonful.  But then again, I believe her fussy husband only eats weetabix or boiled eggs whereas I had to cook a slightly more complicated meal for my husband tonight whilst also tending to the rice pudding.

I did also Google the recipe because it was easier than having the recipe book in the kitchen with so much going on.  The one review I found of it over at 41 feasts mentioned that it took just over an hour to cook which worried me a little.  Nigella cites about 35 minutes.  I found that with mine bubbling away at just shy of a simmer, it took under 40 minutes.  That works for me.  Just enough therapy time of mindless stirring.  And an indulgent rice pud without the nasty skin from a baked pudding nor having to zap it in the microwave.  The coconut cream gave it a lovely subtle flavour which worked really well with mango and a little lime zest sprinkled over

So here is my adaptation of Nigella's recipe from Nigella Bites

Makes 2 generous portions (or one Nigella portion)

  • 500ml milk -Nigella suggests full fat, I used skimmed, but you can use any kind of milk
  • 100g arborio risotto rice
  • 150g coconut cream
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar


  1. Heat the milk and coconut cream in a saucepan until the coconut cream has melted.  Pour into a measuring jug (or you can leave in the pan and use another pan to make the rice pudding in).
  2. Melt the butter and 1 tbsp of sugar in a clean pan over a medium-low heat.  Add the rice and stir for two minutes until well coated in the butter and sugar.
  3. Add a small amount of milk to the rice and cook until nearly absorbed. I probably did mine about 75ml at a time, Nigella does this tablespoon by tablespoon.  Repeat until the rice is tender.  Start tasting after about 25 minutes but be prepared to wait for 35-40 minutes for the perfect texture.
  4. Add the other tbsp of sugar (or more depending on your taste).
  5. Serve topped with fresh mango slices and lime zest or other fresh fruit.




4 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty. Perfect for boosting your energy post marathon! I was just watching Eric lanlard making rice pudding on baking mad yesterday and now I'm feeling doubley inspired to give it a go myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A standard stove maintains its name: there is no fancywork, no additional compartment, only an old fashioned gas cooking stove with presumably four essential heater spots where you can cook.
    prestige 2 burner auto ignition gas stove

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll additionally discover gas-fueled stoves with an electric start, taking out the requirement for a match to begin the burners. best 3 burner gas stove in india

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will need to know as much as you can before picking the best model for your specific needs. Truly, you can get data about wood stove establishment, pellet stove embeds, wood pellet stove evaluations, utilized wood stove alternatives, antique wood stoves, old wood cook stoves and even old lamp fuel stove fix. On the off chance that you are truly intrigued, you will find out however much about them as could reasonably be expected before purchasing.Stove Repair Dacor, Wolf, DCS, Vikin, NXR in San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...