Friday 27 April 2012

Baked Breakfast Mushrooms


So I'm off home for a few days and with a fridge full of odds and ends that I'd normally use up over the weekend, I figured I should try and make something interesting for breakfast.

Earlier in the week, I'd been pondering what to do with the couple of field mushrooms I had left after Monday's Baked Mushrooms with Parmesan Polenta and some streaky bacon from Sunday's Bacon Brownies (yep, that's right, bacon and chocolate); and had wondered if it would be possible to bake an egg in one.  Thumbing through Leith's Simple Food, my thoughts were confirmed and thus today's breakfast was born.

As I've struggled to perfect the art of the baked egg - getting the perfect moment when the white has set and the yolk is still runny is a bit of an art form - I decided to cheat a little here and poach my eggs and serve them inside the baked mushroom.  That way I knew I'd have perfect eggs.

Definitely something I'd do again if I was making breakfast for guests or as a meal if I had some leftover field mushrooms to use up.  

Sorry for the short blog this morning - packing to do, child to organise yadda yadda.  A Dan Lepard cake and roast Lamb to deliver over the weekend then blogging service will resume as normal on Monday with yet another cake for my first foray into the world of Clandestine Cake Clubs.  Just a little bit excited!

Recipe - serves 2
  • 2 field mushrooms - ensure you pick ones that have a nice lip to the edge
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
  • 2 rashers of streaky bacon, snipped into small pieces
  • olive oil
  • a small handful of parsley, chopped.
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

  1. Preheat the oven to 200c/180c fan.
  2. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop finely.   Place the mushrooms skin side down on a baking sheet.
  3. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle the bacon, garlic and chopped mushrooms stalks into the bowl of the mushrooms.  Season well then bake for 20 mins or until the mushrooms have softened.
  4. Five minutes before the end of the cooking time, either crack the eggs into the centre of the mushrooms and return to the oven to continue baking or poach the eggs in a pan of simmering water (check out Kitchen Bitching for the best way to poach an egg).
  5. Remove the mushrooms from the oven, place on a serving plate and if using poached eggs, slide an egg into the cup of the mushroom.  Garnish with the parsley.
  6. Serve with hot buttered toast.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm this looks tasty! Happy weekend! Saturdays were made for breakfasts like these

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...