Saturday 8 October 2011

Banana and Oat Muffins

In go the oats
"What would be the first thing you'd buy if we won the jackpot on the Euromillions?" I asked the husband today.  "A Ferrari, of course" came the reply.  "Do you know what I'd buy?" I asked.  Silence.  "I'd buy a really big kitchen and hire a cleaning lady."  Cue bemused look.

Stirring is hard work
Because as a responsible parent, I can no longer dream of jetting off to laze on sun-drenched beaches for the rest of my days - there's a hole in the ozone layer, didn't you know and I can't be dealing with the 'I'm not wearing suncream' tantrums from Crowdey snr and Crowdey jnr on a regular basis.  So my next best dream is to have a big house, with a big kitchen and someone to clean up behind me - because I'm never going to have a figure like Kylie and my people would never spontaneously burst into song and dance around me (I always wanted to live in a musical when I was a kid), no matter how rich I may be in this fantasy.
My little monster mash(ing)
And I'd learn to cook lovely things, every day.  I'd hire someone like James Martin to come and teach me to be an amazing chef.  I've got the sweet-front covered but I still need to work at the savoury side of things.  Difficult when you're feeding fussy eaters who will only eat chicken and rice (Crowdey snr) or pasta and cheese (Crowdey jnr).  And then I'd hire 'friends' like Nigella does to come and sit at my dining table and coo over my culinary prowess...

Making her own mini muffins
Enough rambling.  On to today's recipe.  Over-ripe bananas in the fruit bowl and a Saturday with nothing to do with the child so I decided we'd make banana muffins.  She was actually quite good at it.  Stirring and mashing and spoon licking and waving goodbye to the muffins as they went into the shiny new oven and proudly showing them to daddy as they were cooking as we actually have a light in our cooker for the first time in about four years!  It's the small things.

The big ones - finished
But oh.  Mr Ramsay.  Banana muffins need mixed spice in them.  What were you thinking?  I faithfully followed your recipe because you are a mega-celebrity, multi-Michelin-starred chef and I am, but a mere housewife and what would I know?  That bananas and mixed spice work far better than bananas and salt.  You might want to edit that recipe for the next edition of your book?

Despite this, they were a hit with Miss Abigail and she is FUSSY.  So top marks to you from her, but a thumbs down from me and the hubby.

PS: This recipe was from Gordon Ramsay's Greatest Hits but I understand it was also published in his 'Healthy Appetite' book meaning it's probably good for brides who are trying to fit into their wedding dresses ;-)

Makes 12


  • 200g plain flour
  • 1.5tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.25 tsp salt
  • 100g oats
  • 100g light brown sugar
  • 4 ripe bananas
  • 60g melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 75g chopped walnuts



  1. Preheat the oven to 180c (160c fan).  Put muffin wrappers into a 12-hole muffin tin.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.  Add the oats and sugar and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork (we used a potato masher - easier with a toddler!) and then mix in the egg and the melted butter.  Add to the dry ingredients.
  4. Spoon the mixture into the cake cases and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Best served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...