Sunday 13 November 2011

Apple and Mango Chutney

Sunday night is curry night in the Crowdey household without fail.  Tonight, for pretty much the first time in years, it's not curry night as the husband has the lurgy.

Oops, I burnt the spoon! (but not the chutney)

So, my plan to try out the apple and mango chutney I made out of the nearly rotten mangoes Ocado furnished me with on Friday night has gone awry.

In some ways I'm glad we're not having curry tonight, having just read that Loyd Grossman Korma Sauce has been linked to two botulism cases in Scotland.  We have his Bhuna sauce, but still...

I really must get out the curry recipe book I bought years ago when I first thought about getting all domesticated and find a decent Bhuna recipe in there.  The trouble is I seem to remember it taking three-odd hours to cook and, whilst I'm sure it's worth it, when do I get three hours to myself these days to lovingly cook something.  Nope, don't answer that.

Finished jar needing a label
The recipe is another BBC Good Food one because I wanted something to use up the overripe mangoes quickly - it wasn't a pre-planned exercise, I just had all the ingredients for this particular recipe to hand.

When it's cooking, it smells and tastes very vinegary, but once it's reduced down, it has a lovely sweet and spicy flavour.  I did add a tablespoon of muscavado sugar as it was a little too sweet for me and the molasses flavour of the muscavado helped take the edge off of it.

Looking forward to trying it when it's had chance to 'mature' and may be making more for Christmas hampers although it's a pretty pricey make unless Ocado send you crap mangoes and give you a refund on them :o)

The recipe can be found here.  It's pretty easy to make less (or more) - I just made one mango's worth which made a 1lb jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...