Tuesday 22 November 2011

Lime and Chilli Pitta Chips

Some days, I just really can't be bothered with cooking tea.  After a long day at work, precious time with my gorgeous girl and the bedtime battle (which is improving), I then have to face cooking two separate dinners.  And on days like today, I can't even be bothered with one.

I'd happily just eat toast for tea most days.  In fact, if I was ever stranded on a desert island, my luxury item would be a toasting fork.  Or thinking about it, I could make one from a bit of driftwood so maybe an endless supply of toastables (bread, crumpets, English Muffins....).

Second to toasted things, I like crunchy things.  This drives the husband potty.  We have curry.  He has naan.  I have to have poppadums.  He shoots me evil looks throughout dinner as he can't hear the telly. We have bread rolls.  I have to buy soft ones for him and the crunchiest ones I can possibly find for me.  Crunchy things encompasses so many (unhealthy) delights that I can't begin to name them all.  And I like Cadburys Crunchies too!  Which reminds me - homemade honeycomb will be going in the Christmas hampers although sadly, it's not a new recipe.  Maybe I'll make marshmallows...mind's wandering again!

Anyhow.  1) Can't be bothered to cook.  2)  Need tasty carbs.  3)  Need new recipe.  BBC Good Food to the rescue!

Lovely simple recipe.  Don't know why I've never thought of doing this myself.  Tear up a couple of pittas, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with lime zest and chilli flakes.  Whack in the oven for 10 minutes until crispy.  Serve with a creamy dip - which is definitely needed if you are heavy handed with the chilli flakes.

Crunch...munch...crunch...munch....
In amongst my favourite crispy things are lime doritos.  The husband doesn't like them because a) they are lime flavoured; b) they are tortilla chips; c) they are noisy; d) I can eat a whole packet in one go (he doesn't know this but if he reads this, he'll take great pleasure in reminding me that THIS IS WHY I AM FAT - in my defence, I've only done it on really bad days and probably never more than twice in 34.9 years)

This recipe is now my replacement for lime doritos because a) it's a great way to use up spare pittas before they go mouldy; b) they are really tasty; c) they don't contain MSG; and d) they were so noisy he couldn't hear the football.

I was definitely surprised by how well the lime flavour came through given that only the zest was used.  Will now make again (and again, and again...) and try other combinations of spices to flavour the pittas and other variations on the dips - I picked the garlic and herb one today.

The recipe for the pitta chips can be found here (if the instructions above weren't explanatory enough) and the selection of dip ideas can be found here.

Thank you BBC Good Food.  You're making my year really quite lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...